A fan-made PICO-8 demake of Polytron Corporation's 2012 game FEZ.
Released: May 2019
Team: Joseph Henry Stadolnik IV
I made the entirety of this game by myself, mostly from mid-April 2019 through mid-May 2019. This included:
- Programming all aspects of the game in Lua.
- Drawing all visual assets using PICO-8's editor, heavily referencing FEZ's original art.
- Creating all audio assets using PICO-8's editor.
- Designing the level structure, rendering system, collision system, and language puzzles. (The other puzzles are recreations of types used in the original FEZ.)
- As a fan game, this was not released for profit and is not endorsed by Polytron Corporation.
- The idea of a demake is the reverse of a remake: take an existing game and make a simpler version of it on a more limited platform.
- There are multiple possible endings, depending on whether the player solved all the puzzles.
- Several FEZ puzzle types use specific symbols. I preserved this in FUZ, but whenever possible I used my own symbol designs instead.
It's Gomez Time (Again): Reflections on Demaking FEZ